2007-11-25

A New Throne for the Cyber Queen

No, this is not my new office chair. I like to sit on my Swiss Ball occasionally. Dynamic sitting, moving the lower spine,
in every direction, not leaning to the seat-back. A swiss ball is a healthy and not uncomfortable alternative to an office chair. - But not for too long. Last week I had to experience, that it can get pretty hard after some hours, and really cold. One cannot be in the slight movement that comes naturally with sitting on a ball constantly and sitting still, the surface you contact is quite small, besides, it cannot be warmed up by the body temperature.

Well, why should anyone want to try this out.... I sure had not planned this, but....

The other day I sat down in front of my screen, when suddenly the seat sagged down and I tilted with the chair. Of course this was impossible, an office chair with 5 feet cannot tilt. Luckily it went slow and not straight backwards, so I could grab a hold before I had sorted that out.

It had happened, because the leg was a straight cylinder, that could slide easily through the mounting plate, after the bottom had broken out. Actually the usual office built like this, such feature is often neglected; so even a well stability-tested office chair can tilt, when the bottom lid breakes out, worn by time and turning movement.- so much about office security. - Well, with my new chair this cannot happen anymore. The lower end of the cylinder is narrowing and thus supported by the entire mounting plate.

So I had thought, until I got a new one, I could use the swiss ball some days - not such a good Idea, even with a blanket over it. But a normal chair is not much better, one realizes soon, the ability to move and turn, adjust and change the backrest, is necessary.

Modern office chairs have also movable seats, slightly diagonally downward to the front, which is good for the knees and venes. - Better still for the venes is, if possible, put the legs up on a stool under the desk, though this is not very comfortable for a long time. -

I even saw chairs with seats swinging sideways and rocking in all directions, but this is not for me, my husband tried it too and said he'd get seasick - one probably would on the long run, lol.

While using the computer for hours, you should alternate between times with more movement and times when you sit still deliberately.

Like in the picture below, the angle of the backrest should be changed occasionally, and it is important to actually rest your back against it, specially the upper part as well, to sit straight.

Also a headrest is not superflouus, when you are tall. So you can on an anatomically correct chair, which follows the natural form of the spine, press the whole back against the rest and straighten it.

When you neglect to do so, the upper back will get round and stay round, sooner or later.

An office chair for too frequent use must be well tested before purchase, to make sure the back rest supports the back correctly in the correct places and is adjustable in hight. The support for the lumbar region must be exactly at the small of the back and almost always in contact.
All in all, the backrest of the chair in the picture is not bad, but a more complete one and higher one is better for long sitting. (which you should not do anyways, but that is another subject.)

The material is not unimportant, it should be strong, but breathable, (which does not mean such a cool chair in modern net optic is better than an upholstered one - after coming to know this on my Swissball, I guess it would be a pretty cool experiene with another meaning, if the slightest draft should occur.)

The Armrests - I always hated to have them, because one could never really rest the arms on them, they are usually too far down, even if adjustable. But when they can be brought high enough, meaning the hight of the desk, it is indeed a big advantage for wrists and shoulders.

So much about my new office chair for now. - I will show it when I've conquerd some small technical problems and make some short videos about how to exercise in front of the computer.

No comments:

Post a Comment